Expressions of Hope and Wish

a. Pengertian

Hope (that) mengekspresikan keinginan yang berhubungan dengan masa lalu, sekarang atau masa yang akan datang.
 Wish (that) mengekspresikan suatu penyesalan akan sesuatu di masa lalu, sekarang atau masa yang akan datang.

b. Contoh

hope:
  • I hope you weren't late.
  • I hope you are ready.
  • We hope you will be very happy.
wish:
  • I wish I hadn't eaten so much. (Artinya saya makan terlalu banyak)
  • I wish I had a lot of money. (Kenyataannya, saya tidak punya banyak uang)
  • I wish I could go with Ali. (Kenyataannya saya tidak akan bisa pergi bersama dengan Ali)
c. Latian soal

1. A: I'm worried nina will not have many friends because of her pride and bad atitude.
B: ......... i hope she can change her attitude soon
kalimat yg bergaris bawah merupakan ungkapan?
a. advice
b. expectation
c.decline
d.anxiety

2. andi  : have you ever been to the pancasila sakti museum ?
budi  : oh, yes I've been there twice.
andi  : it's a great museum, isn't it ?
budi  : yes, I hope people will never forget the violence of the communist in our country.
bndi  : i hope so.

from the dialogue we know that andi ........
a.reminds us of the violence of the communist
b. expects there won't be any violence in Indonesia
c  expect there will be another museum to remind the Indonesian people
d. expects the museum will remind the Indonesian people of the communist's violence

3.   Situation :
Fadel is going to participate in the story telling competition.
Dara shows her hope that Fadel will get a prize.
The conversation:
Fadel   :  “Dara, wish me luck. I will take part in the story telling competition.”
Dara    :  “____________________. I hope you will win the competition.”
A. Thank you very much
B.  I hope so
C.  I’m sorry
D. Sure, Good luck

4. Choose the best answer!
Jeremy : Next week, I will join the singing contest.
Tom : …..
What does Tom most likely to reply?
A. Good luck. I hope you can win the contest.
B. Why do you say so?
C. Wish me luck in the test.
D. Have a nice day!
5. Ade has just finished drawing a picture of Tinta, his best friend.
He will present it to her on her birthday. Nida praises the picture and she’s
sure that Tinta will like it.
Nida    :  “Ade, that’s a beautiful picture. I’m sure Tinta will like it.”
Ade     :  “__________________________.”
A. Wish me luck
B.  Happy birthday
C.  Good luck
D. Thanks. I hope so too

6.  I was read a book with my friends in the school. and i... they can take a what we read. 
a. hope
b. wish
c. may
d.can not
7. Man    : Hot today, isn’t it?
   Woman: Yes, it is, I wish that it would rain and cool off.
Man : Me too, this is unusual for March. I don’t remember it ever been so hot and dry in March before
Narrator : According to the conversation, what kind of weather is usual for March
A. Warm
B. Drier
C. Hotter
D. Cooler
8. Dahlia : Mommy, tomorrow I will present my report in front of the class, but I am so nervous.
Mommy : ...... your report will be clear enough 
and your team will present well
a. Hope
b. Wish
c. Could
d. May

9. Bunga : I forgot to add the baking powder  in the cake
       Vinta : Are you sure? How can it improve?
     Bunga : Wish that the taste is yummy
       Vinta : .......
a. I wish too
b. I hope to
c. I need you
d. I see 

10.  Irene : Hi, Wendy. Let's go to the new bookshop after school.
     Wendy: I'm sorry I'm can't, Irene. My sister is geeting sick and I have to take care of her.
      Irene  : Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. What happen with her?
      Wendy: She has dengue. I need to go to hospital after school.
       Irene : ........

     Wendy:.......
E. Kunci Jawaban

1. B                6. B
2. D                7. D
3. D                8. B
4. A                9. A
5. D               10. Irene   : I wish she gets better soon
                            Wendy: Thank you, Irene


e. source

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Purpose of Objective

Expressions of Congratulations